Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
Employee Rights Underthe Family and Medical Leave Act
What is FMLA?
FMLA is up to 12 weeks of unpaid, job-protected leave in a 12 month period.
What reasons qualify for FMLA?
- The birth of a child or placement of a child for adoption or foster care;
- To bond with a child (leave must be taken within 1 year of the child’s birth or placement);
- To care for the employee’s spouse, child, or parent who has a qualifying serious health condition;
- For the employee’s own qualifying serious health condition that makes the employee unable to perform the employee’s job;
- For qualifying exigencies related to the foreign deployment of a military member who is the employee’s spouse, child, or parent.
Who is eligible for FMLA?
An employee who works for a covered employer must meet three criteria in order to be eligible for FMLA leave. The employee must:
- Have worked for the employer for at least 12 months;
- Have at least 1,250 hours of service in the 12 months before taking leave; and
- Work at a location where the employer has at least 50 employees within 75 miles of the employee’s worksite.
What are the steps to request FMLA?
Employees will need to contact Robin Carr in Human Resources to request FMLA.
- 281-356-3571 x1035