Skip To Main Content

History

Football champs

Profile of Education in the Magnolia Community since 1893
 

Magnolia opened doors to educate children of this com

munity around 1893. The town was actually called "Mink" at that time. By 1896 there were four schools within a radius of five miles. The schools were consolidated around 1901. In 1911 construction started on the first high school, consisting of nine grades in a four-room school building located in town just northwest on FM 1488. This building opened in January of 1912 and was known as the Magnolia Common School District #6. A county superintendent was in charge of the school. The graduating class of 1912 consisted of six students.

By 1921, the district's enrollment reached 150 students. In 1937, that campus was moved into a new building at the present location of the current MJH Sixth Grade Campus on Magnolia Blvd. Land was purchased in 1939 to build another school, George W. Carver School. That campus, after several renovations and additions, is now Williams Elementary School.

Magnolia became an "independent school district" in 1950. During the next 50 years, several campuses were added to serve the community. Those campuses are as follows:

1971 - Magnolia Elementary School

Bear Branch Jr High

1982 - Bear Branch Elementary School

1993 - Lyon Elementary School

1996 - Bear Branch Junior High School

Rapid community growth in this part of Montgomery County has brought increased student enrollment in Magnolia ISD. During a three-year period of time (2000-2002), the district opened eight new campuses to meet those needs. The additions were as follows:

2000 - Smith Elementary School

2001 - Magnolia High School (relocated to a new facility); Magnolia Junior High School (moved to the old high school)

2002 - ALPHA Academy (high school of choice for alternative academic program); Bear Branch Elementary School (relocated existing campus); Nichols Sawmill Elementary School; Bear Branch Sixth Grade Campus; Magnolia Sixth Grade Campus

Nichols Sawmill

2005 - Tom R. Ellisor Elementary School

2006 - Magnolia West High School

2008 - Magnolia Parkway Elementary School

2018 - Magnolia Intermediate and Bear Branch Intermediate Open

Magnolia ISD is one of the fastest-growing districts in the state of Texas. The district has approximately 1600 employees. In 1993-94, there were 4,021 students. In the 2014-2015 school year, there were 12,458 students in the district. The fast growth of the district has been met with excellent facilities and with increased community support.